Also, tomorrow is April 1st and we promise not to announce that we have been eaten by Am*zon. On that note, we will be removing the Goodreads reviews, which is a shame as we had been very pleased to be able to add them. As many readers are, Michael and I are debating deleting our Goodreads accounts. (Me, Michael.) How about you? I don’t have much time for Amazon and their EatEveryone school of business. I know that they are successful, but having been on the other end of the negotiating table from them as a publisher at Small Beer Press, I don’t like the way they do business. They focus on grinding everyone else down, whereas my philosophy is more along the lines of we can all rise together.
So like many other people, we’re throwing around the idea of building a new community reading site with books, reviews, comments, forums, all the things we liked about Goodreads, but without the all-encompassing Univac behind it. To keep it independent I figure we should make it a $4.99 annual subscription built along the lines Flickr uses: you could add up to 500 books for free then the oldest ones would disappear (from public view, not to you) unless you subscribed. Maybe there could be other subscriber only features, not sure, the site would do best if people use it for a while for free. If you’re seriously interested in kicking this idea around, email me!
March automated bestseller list:
- Galaxy’s Edge Magazine Annual Subscription
- Clarkesworld Magazine: 12-Month Subscription
- Lightspeed Magazine: 12-Month Subscription
- New York Review of Science Fiction 12-issue Subscription
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies 12-Month Subscription
- Lord of the White Hell Book Two
- Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet No. 28
- Apex Magazine: 12-Month Subscription
- Lord of the White Hell Book One